Reflection- Brooke Moore from WPC



Tuesday Night:

Hello! My name is Brooke, I am going into 9th grade and I go to Westminster Presbyterian Church. Today is our second day of working on a house in Refugio, Texas. So far we have been painting all of the walls and the ceilings in the house and digging a trench in the back. The lady's house was almost completely destroyed in Hurricane Harvey. Her new house was built up literally from the ground. When I first walked into the house yesterday, I saw all the progress that had already been done to the house and I was amazed. There were many people who have worked countless hours to even just get the frame of this house up. We started working on priming and painting the house as soon as we got there. There are two bedrooms, one bathroom and a living room/kitchen in the house, each room with many people working on painting. We used rollers to paint and prime the ceilings and paintbrushes to get the edges and corners. I, personally do not know everyone on this trip and I found that it was a wonderful experience getting to know other people by helping each other getting spots they missed or even holding a brush for someone who needed it. At the end of the day yesterday, we finished all of the priming on the walls and were reading to start painting today. When we walked into the house, everyone immediately went to work, determined to get as much done as possible. I finished one of the back bedrooms with paint in about 3 hours. When our group stepped back and saw the eggshell colors on the walls, white on the ceiling and the whole room completely covered in paint, we all felt a great sense of accomplishment. It was amazing to see all of us working together to help someone in need. Fast forward a little while until the end of the day, when we were all sweating, covered in paint and ready to get in the air conditioning. We had finished almost all of the painting in the house and even though we were tired, we were all happy at what we had done. To sum it up, today we made a lot of progress on the house and we might even start the flooring tomorrow. This is my first mission trip and so far I have loved working together for a good cause and getting to know all the new faces around me!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflection- Jenna Wood

Corpus or Bust! Arrival Update!

Reflection- Amy Manning